Skip to main content

Blue, The Lazy Lizard

    Hey, everyone. I worked hard today. I mowed the yard, used the weedeater, killed a big scorpion, swept the decks and walks, carried out the garbage and did 3 loads of clothes. Then I put on my swimming trunks and sat on the deck to grab a tan. It was sunny, but off to the west I could see thunderstorms cruising down a ridge as they made their way south.
     I was listening to my I-Pod with one ear-bud only. As I relaxed, a lizard came out from a crack in the deck boards. He began to sun himself, which they dearly love to do. This was a blue tailed lizard. When he found a good sunny spot he flicked his tail back and forth several times. It was as though he were sweeping a spot which I had missed during my chores. Almost immediately he went into a sun-induced stupor.
    I went inside and got a beverage. When I came back he had not moved, even though I sat about three feet away. I watched a gnat hover around his head. No response. An ant actually crawled across his back. No response. I couldn't refrain from asking him about it.
    "Hey, lizard."
    He awoke and blinked.
    "Yeah?"
    "I thought you guys ate bugs. But bugs are all around you and you're laying there sleeping."
     "Do you eat when you sleep?"
    "No."
    "Okay, chill out."
    I didn't let it go that easily.
    "I mean, we have all these insects that bother us and you're not doing your job."
    He gazed at me with his beady eyes.
    "Do you feel like I work for you?"
    "No," I said with a sigh. "What's your name?"
    "Blue. What's yours?"
    "C.E."
     We soaked up the sun in silent companionship for a while. Then I gave him some advice.
    "Hey, Blue. Better not come around when my wife is here. She hates lizards."
    "Why?"
    "She says you guys are slimy."
     He snorted in disgust. Then he moved to a sunnier spot. He glanced at me.
    "What's with that thing in your ear?"
    "I'm listening to music." I explained about songs. Then he asked what song I was listening to.
    "Hotel California. Want to hear?"
    "Yeah."
    I put the ear buds up close to his head and he seemed to really dig the music. He didn't like the part where they sang about killing the beast.
      He looked at me askance as I returned to my seat.
    "Your tribe is a bit warlike, don't you think?"
    "Yeah."
    He asked me about California and I described it. When I told him about how it stayed sunny all the time he was intrigued.
    "How do I get there?"
    I pointed west.
   "It's a long, long journey in that direction."
    "I may go there."
    "If you do, drop me a postcard."
    "Sure," he said. Then, after a pause he said, "What's a postcard?" He moved to follow the sun's path as it retreated for the evening. Then he yawned and said, "I'm glad you killed that scorpion. He had an attitude."
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe