Skip to main content

News Aggregators For I-Pad

    Hey, everyone. There was a time when I watched quite a bit of network news on TV. Dan Rather and folks like that. As the years went by and commercials became more numerous and odious I quit watching news. The right wing has since got their own news channel and most other news sources are left wingers. Seems like, in my dimmest memories, there was a time when news people prided themselves on objectivity. Perhaps I was just naive. I prefer to get just the news and put my own slant on it, thanks.
   A couple of years ago I started reading Google News on my PC and really liked it. I find it extremely cool to actually choose the types of things that interest me. I leave the guilt-trip type of news for others to read. I don't like to read or watch news that centers on the tragedies of life, so that I feel more depressed than I was when I started. I read more sports, tech, I-Pad, e-book and Kindle news. I'm very interested in weather, also.
    My news habits have changed again since the advent of the I-Pad. Every morning I spend at least an hour, drinking coffee and checking out the news from my I-Pad. I find it very nice to sit in my recliner while I do this. The three apps I use for this purpose are all free and I can recommend them. They are Pulse, Flipboard and Zite. I like them all, with Pulse being a slight favorite. Here's the recipe.
    You download the app. You set it up according to your taste, with news sources that you know and like.  Then, according to your avowed interests the aggregator will scan the web to find articles that you may find useful. The cool thing about these three apps is that they don't stop at the powerhouse names of media. Heck, they will give you stuff from blog sources, twitter items, all sorts of places. They even put stuff on there from sources that you didn't know existed. Heck, you may find something I've written. If, for example, you select video games as a section, you'll find a bunch of new sites that you'll enjoy because the search engine will deem them compatible with your likes.
     I have found that you get a more balanced view of affairs around the globe. I'd rather hear the truth, even if it doesn't flatter the South or the USA. More importantly, I'd rather see articles about movies and games than the murder rate in Washington. This is because I choose to live a frivolous and carefree lifestyle when possible. My maturity level is such that I prefer to stick my head in the sand and I much prefer warm and pleasant sand.
     There are many sources that offer video clips and photos with their feeds. As for the weather, which I used to watch on local news channels, I now prefer to watch my Padster. There are many weather choices but I usually just check out the National Weather Service. No adds. Did I tell you I had a job offer from the National Weather Service in Daytona Beach, many years ago? In one of the monumental mistakes of my life I chose another job. STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! I've learned to deal with it well, however, and I've moved on gracefully to become content with my life. Ha, ha.
     Yes, there are adds on a few of the things you click on. They hardly disrupt my attention. If they do, I delete that source. A couple of days ago, I clicked on a well known source to look at an article. Later, when I came to my PC to work on my blog page,  the symbol for that source appeared briefly on the screen. It bothered me. They must have slipped a new sort of cookie through my I-Pad to my PC. I went back and deleted the source from my I-Pad. Some people will climb a tree to make money when they could make a good living if they merely stood on the ground. It must be exciting to be crooked, for them at least. I'm busting to tell you the name of the site but I don't want to be sued.
    You know what drives me nuts? A lot of the time when I do a blog, I finish and go about my business; then I start thinking about all the other things I could have said.  Fully expecting this, I will bid you good day from the author's green retreat.
    I'm CE Wills.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe