Skip to main content

The Greatest Ever

     Hey, everyone. I was just thinking about writers. Funny breed of guy or gal. What got me onto that subject was the fact that I was sitting here looking at my shelves full of books. Fat books, skinny books. 30,000 words to 130,000 words.
    It crossed my mind just how few authors could carry a really big book. Not physically carry but to carry a story for that long. Lots of people write them. They stretch them out by putting in filler, details and a healthy dose of boredom. There's an art to that, sure. Robert Parker, the great detective writer, used dialogue more than anything, but I've read all his books.
    But I was talking about the really big blockbusters like Tom Clancy during his prime or Wilbur Smith or James Clavell with his Shogun or Noble House. That one was 1200 pages that seemed like a few brief moments. At any given time there may be 15 or 20 people on planet earth who can really carry  a monster like that. Most of them wind up as millionaires, as they richly deserve. Then there are the others. Allow me to give you a supposition.
    It's possible that the greatest writer that ever lived never wrote a book. He may have been a brick mason. In his struggle to support a family he just never got around to it. He was a square peg in a round hole all his life.
    I figure there was another Van Gogh that never painted. Maybe he worked at a soda fountain during the 50's. Perhaps the world's greatest preacher died in a rice paddy in Vietnam.
     Although I don't consider myself as exceptional in any area, allow me to use myself as an example. All my life I've made a living in jobs where my aptitude did not lie. By dint of hard work and great effort I made it through. By burning the midnight oil I made a living in a field that was far from my natural gifts.
     The greatest baseball player who ever lived possibly never picked up a bat. He didn't live during the right time, never had a mentor. Never had the money. Lived on an island. Crippled during his youth, a thousand other reasons that resulted in no one knowing his name.
    The gift, no matter how great, is not enough. A burning desire is not enough. Powerful parents or influential friends may not be enough. Luck seems to be the greatest asset. The typical successful author? If you scrounged around the world you would find a better one sitting in a bar in Singapore; a dude that may not be able to write his own name. I've heard some awesome storytellers who would have made great authors. One tremendous, anointed minister that I know personally could not read or write. He would have his wife get up and read a passage of scripture. Then he would preach the walls down. Did he have a congregation of 50,000 or a salary in six figures? No.
    Indeed, it is a rare thing when a person falls into a life built for their gift. When they do, they will often shake the world. What if Albert Einstein's dad had insisted he become a banker? What if Michelangelo had been forced to be a plumber? Sometimes a wise parent will see the gift and help the child toward its fruition. A gentle nudge that doesn't cause rebellion, because overstepped authority always causes rebellion.
    There's a commercial for a credit card that states "What's in your wallet?" My question is, who's sleeping in your house? A Madame Curie that you are trying to mold into the next Miss USA? Or perhaps a concert pianist that you want to run the family farm? It's a daunting task being any sort of influence on a young life. It is something to be approached with awe. Looking back, it was too large a job for a man of my ability.
     Tonight, in a noisy bar in Anduhar, the world's greatest singer breaks into a song. He sings Danny Boy in his deep rich voice and grown men weep from the beauty of it. Tomorrow that singer will arise at dawn and go to sea. Because he makes his living by the sweat of his brow and by being a fisherman.
     From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe