Skip to main content

Ride Captain Ride

    I don't wish to glorify stupidity but since Father's Day is just around the corner, I'll tell you a story about a funny old guy, my friend's father.
    It was the summer of 1969. On a warm summer night, about 2 o'clock in the morning, 4 friends sat drinking beer in a remote area. We were all teens and pretty buzzed. Just laughing and cutting up.  Four young guys without many redeeming characteristics.
        So, my three mates and I were bemoaning the boredom of living in a small southern town. You've probably heard it yourself, the whole "This town is dead" routine. At length someone said, "Heck, we should just go to Florida and live." This idea was accepted with enthusiasm. Visions of beaches (and women), clubs (and women), parties (and women) must have filled our heads. This seemed kind of epic at the time because at that time people really didn't travel that much. Nowadays, Spring Break is an annual rite of passage. In our drunken condition, we just decided to do it. So, we stopped by the driver's house and told his folks. "We're leaving this hick town forever." His Mom cried and his Dad laughed his butt off.
     At any rate, we left in my friend's Camaro. It was a 1969 model with a 350 CI motor and a Hurst 4 speed. My buddy was a great driver. He was great at speed-shifting that big V-8. I couldn't count the times we out-ran the police. Yes, in answer to your question, there was at least one of us with a pack of Marboros rolled up in the sleeve of his tee shirt.
    We drove all night long, what little of the night was left, then well into the next day.  We took turns driving and sleeping, so it wasn't a problem. We stopped in Jacksonville Beach for the simple reason that one place was as good as another for a bunch of stupid guys seeking fun.
       It was my first look at the ocean and from that day to this I've loved the sea. It was such a thrill for me, to see the scope and magnitude of it. Yeah, I know, it seems pathetic now, the way everyone gets to travel, but it was cool for me. We stayed at a Mom and Pop motel on the beach. There were no such things as chain motels or restaurants in those days. By the way, cigarettes were 25 cents a pack and gas was around 19 cents a gallon, I think.
     Since it is not germane to the story, I won't bore you with the story of the hillbillies' activities in Florida. I do have the most vivid memory of a moment in time from the trip, however. We were cruising across a bridge by the ocean and had the radio blasting. The song was Ride Captain Ride, by The Blues Image. Wow, we had great songs and cool cars back in the day! It even made it okay to be young and stupid, with no future at all.
    To make a long story short, we arrived back home in 3 or 4 days. When we walked into my buddy's house his Dad looked at us and remarked drily, "My, how you've grown!"
     Reminds me of another song from another time. The song is Leader Of The Band, by the late, great Dan Fogelberg. In this song he talks about his Dad, but the part I like best goes like this:
     I thank you for your wisdom and your stories of the road,
    I thank you for the freedom, when it came my time to go,
    I thank you for your kindness, and the times that you got tough,
    And Papa I don't think I said, 'I love you' near enough.
    Happy Father's day to all dads everywhere. From the author's  green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
     
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe