Skip to main content

Expensive Addresses

    Hey, everyone. Let me start by thanking Steve for his comment on yesterday's post about the U.S. Open. Feel free to comment at any time.
    This evening I saw an article on Google News about the new policy for web addresses.  This stuff is not my forte but I find it very interesting. ICANN, the Internet Governing Corporation, has changed their policy about domain names. In the past they only issued 22 different suffixes. (Stuff like .com and .org) Now they are going to expand that to include nearly every word in every language. For instance, if I wanted to brag on a favorite character from one of my novels, I could have a site that ended with .Centaur.
    Here's the wild part. Some of these web addresses are going to cost a whopping $185,000. It is clear to me that there is a segment of society that has a level of wealth and privilege of which I have no comprehension. To have a business and be able to write something like this off as the cost of doing business is certainly impressive. Of course this is pocket change to companies like Toyota and GM. There are thousands of companies that spend more on toilet paper every month than $185,000.
    Still, let's put this thing in perspective. You are buying something mythical, in a way. It is an address, but there is no house there, no stone or brick or mortar. Nowhere to hang a shingle or to lay your weary head at night. There is no view of the Grand Canyon nor is there running water or bars on the windows. Yet, you can make money there, sometimes tons of money. You can receive mail, advertise, communicate with clients, express your opinion. The whole deal is fascinating, in a way.
     In the days of the Pony Express, the earliest postal service in America, there were riders that rode horses across deserts and mountains to deliver letters. This was in the 1860's, I think. What would Wyatt Earp have said if the postal service had told him, "Sir, you can have an address that ends in Wyatt.Earp.Tombstone if you pay us $185,000." Wyatt would have probably pulled that Peacemaker Colt and ventilated someone.
     By the way, was Tombstone one of the greatest movies of all time or what? Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday was worthy of an Academy Award. I can't recall talking to any guy that didn't love that show.
     Speaking of expensive addresses, the NFL owners are supposed to meet on Tuesday and perhaps Wednesday, on the subject of approval of a new agreement. They are not due to vote, I don't think, but it is a step in that direction. Early word is that the owners who are a bit more hardcore about negotiations do not have the votes needed to prevent an agreement. To pass an agreement, 24 out of 32 owners have to vote Yes. I hope a deal gets done.
    Back on the subject of addresses, I used to deliver mail. It was one of the toughest and most aggravating jobs I've ever had.  If you think keeping one lady happy is tough, try pleasing 535.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...