Skip to main content

Adds And Butterflies

    Hey, everyone. I went to see Super 8 today. This is the Steven Spielberg film about a group of kids who get involved in a close encounter of the worst kind. I felt like it was okay but not great.  I won't give a review at this time. I will say that if you are going out this weekend, go to see X-Men instead of Super 8.
     The flower at the top of the page is a tiger lily, which grows wild around here. I forget what sort of bush the butterfly is on. I find butterflies very interesting, don't you? It's almost impossible to be sad if you are watching a butterfly. Seeing a butterfly flitting about in the sun causes a reaction inside. It's like you just want to laugh out loud. I doubt there is enough money on earth to persuade me to harm one of them. We planted several butterfly bushes, which draw flocks of butterflies, but they died. It is a tough place to grow things here. The hardwoods dominate life to a certain extent. The PH of the soil must not be conducive to flowers. Plus, there is so much shade that sufficient sunshine is a bit of an issue.
    Another happy dude that we see at times is the hummingbird. Sometimes they will hover just in front of your face as you sit on the deck. It is as though they are wondering what sort of creature you are. If you are wearing a bright-colored shirt they seem especially interested.
     Carley and I walked down to the end of the driveway yesterday.  We spooked a deer that had waited until we walked right up to it. It had a neat little covert of white pines and mountain laurel and we stood within 10 feet of it when it finally bolted. It went bounding away with white tail flashing. I had to wonder if it was the deer I named Macho, all grown up now. He sure startled us. I remarked to my wife that it was a good thing it wasn't a mountain lion.
     At the theater today I saw some more blatant marketing. In the preview for Zookeeper the animals are talking to this guy. An ape says, "So, is that place TGI Fridays as awesome as it looks?" The guy replies, "It's pretty darn good." Then it shows the guy and the ape pull up at TGI Fridays. Incredible gall of these people. I picture a room full of marketers at a table. One says, "Well, we have ruined Baseball, television, magazines, a goodly number of web-sites and video games. What should we put the kiss of death on now?" Another one says, "Heck, let's take things to the point where no one will go to the movies." A third guy says, "If stale popcorn that costs $6.00 and five commercials before the feature begins haven't run everyone off, what can we do?" A fourth says, "Let's put commercials in the shows and the previews."
    Enough adds will even mess up the sight of a butterfly.Maybe they could put a tiny banner on the butterfly that says "I like the flowers at Home Depot the best".
From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe