Skip to main content

Bobcat Track

    Hey, everyone. I came across this bobcat track the other day in a remote area. Notice that it has four toes and a rear pad. Also notice that there are no evidence of claw marks. This happens because the cat family keeps their claws sheathed until they are ready to use them. Unlike the dog family; dog, coyote, wolf, whose claws show all the time. This print was 2.5 inches across the widest part. A mountain lion's is very similar but they will measure about 4 to 4.5 inches for a mature lion. As big as a man's fist.
   If you look in the bottom right of the print it appears that the cat, or some other critter, has overstepped the print and smushed it down a little bit. Also notice how the print is beginning to crumble a bit at the edges, but not much. This print is not all that old. Maybe a day? It certainly had not rained since this animal passed by.
    Note also that the track of a bobcat or mountain lion is more rounded than a dog, wolf or coyote. In the picture just above you can see the claw marks and the track is not as round. This was probably a dog or a coyote. I don't consider myself an expert, but it is a fun hobby and doesn't cost anything.
    Bobcats are fond of deer meat but have to kill a smaller deer, usually a fawn. They are not powerful enough to pull down a large deer. They eat rabbits, squirrels etc. A mountain lion can kill a deer with one swipe of its paw but will often jump on a deer and bite its neck, severing the vertebrae. Mountain lions will drag a deer from high ground to low ground before it feeds. They like to eat in a thicket or somewhere they can remain unseen. I once found a deer carcass in the woods and could see where it had been dragged about a quarter of a mile from a ridge top. You could see the drag trail plainly in the snow. I have a picture of the body but it would gross you out. If you find a mountain lion kill, it would be good to vacate the area. They are protective of their food. Two days after I found this kill, it was completely devoured. The lion even ate the skull, bones and hide. Once I heard a lion crunching bones behind my house and it sounded almost like gunshots. Their jaws are very powerful. When the one lion bared his teeth and came at Carley and I, I was very impressed. That is a story that you can read in my free ebook, Scary Beast. Below is the link.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/17600
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
P.S. Hey, if you have time, go to Amazon or I-Tunes and listen to an old song by Jackson Brown titled The Pretender. It has some nice piano music and I meditate on the words at times. He say's "I am aware of the time going by, they say at the end it's the wink of an eye". Ain't it the truth?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...