Skip to main content

Final Run: Apocalyptic Game For Your Weekend

    Hey, everyone. I try to blog about a variety of interests. At the risk of over-doing the gaming reviews, let me tell you about a game. Final Run is a new game which involves driving cars through a post-apocalyptic world. You are trying to escape from a forbidden zone which has been isolated to prevent the spread of a zombie plague virus. You are trying to bring a brilliant scientist ( a fetching female) to the safety of the outside world. She is helpful in that she understands things like radiation poisoning and can even build a decontamination unit while you flee.
     You are hiding from an evil former employer who wants the good doctor back and wants revenge on you. They call this dude, 'The Chief'.
     There are 19 levels in 3D and it is supposed to be a very long, and deep, epic game. I had made it through 3 levels and was, according to them, at the 4.4 % completion point. Unfortunately, as I tried to go back and get a cool screenshot for this post, I wiped out my progress. I hope you appreciate my sacrifice. Sniff, sniff.
    There is a gun mounted on your car with which you can shoot other cars, like the minions of the chief, or you can shoot the unfortunate zombies who wander into your path. You can run over the zombies with your car, also, but I hesitate to recommend this for two reasons. 1) The zombies are infected with a virus and your decontamination unit, being homemade, can only handle so much. 2) The zombies are reduced to green chunks of crud and it makes for a lousy hood ornament on your ride. After all, it is hard to pick up women when your car has zombie sludge on it.
    This game is extremely rare in that there are no in-app purchases, thank goodness. It is made by a new, Dutch developer called Rotor Games.
   There are mined roads and vehicular combat. You can get extra points by smashing cacti and picking up toolboxes that float in the air. There are boss battles and I think the graphics are quite nice.
    I just played a section where I was in a contaminated zone and my decon unit was putting a time restraint on escape. The road was blocked because a dam was out. I ran off an embankment and managed to drive through a long tunnel. When I emerged from the tunnel, there were zombies shuffling around. I shot some and ran over a couple before my air became so bad that it destroyed me and the Doctor. What a pity.
      This game is a bit pricey at $3.99. I believe that it will be worth it, if I don't get stuck. It is a bit like Back Stab, being big on story, with a lot of 'cut scenes'. It is a bit like Rage, if you think about the background story, though it certainly can't compare with the graphics and intense game play of Rage. But lets face it, Rage for I-pad is much shorter than this game. So far I am pleased with Final Run and you may want to search through your desk for that I-Tunes card that Aunt Hilda gave you for Christmas so you can get this game. Maybe look under the couch cushions after Uncle Harry, the one who wears the loose polyester pants, comes to visit. That should net enough quarters to buy this sci-fi game.
     From the forbidden zone at the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio