Skip to main content

Doctor Who and the Mazes of Time HD

   Hey, everyone. It's a beautiful day here at the green retreat. It is sunny and breezy, with a temperature in the 60's. I wanted to give a little love to the puzzlers among you. Really, as I get stuck on more and more action games, I play more puzzle games. Besides, this puzzler is an action puzzler. Let me say, before I forget, that this game is free. There are additional puzzle packs for sale at a modest price, but there are 100 levels in this game. Here's the recipe.
    You are a brainy doctor named, appropriately, Doctor Who. It seems that some Daleks, Cybermen and Silurians have captured a family and sent them backward in time. With your capable assistant, Amy Pond, you navigate your way through rooms. Inside these rooms are robots that kill you, spikes that kill you and puzzles that require that dreaded component from a shooter dude, you have to think. For instance, sometimes you have to slide a massive stone block over a switch in order to hold the switch down. This opens a door or causes the murderous spikes to recess into the floor. There are platforms that slide back and forth. You have to jump on them without falling on the spikes. There are balls of energy to pick up, also.
    The thing I like most about this game? I can play it. I mean, it is not so difficult as to be too frustrating. The graphics are exceptional, with the people and objects being sized nice and large so you can see them.
     The game description tells me that I will travel to ancient Incan temples and the frozen tombs of Telos, but I am still in the first 10 levels, I think. The bottom line is, I like it. It is that rare combo that both action people and puzzlers can enjoy. There are no explosions or shooting, yet, but I have hope. The good doctor is supposed to have a sonic screwdriver but he has yet to use that device in my presence. I guess that any dude that wears a bow tie is not going to pull a 9MM out, huh?
    I forgot to mention another element of game play. There is a button in the lower right. When you tap it you switch control of the doctor to control of Amy. This is fun because there are sections of floor that are rotten and Amy, being lighter, can walk over them with impunity. The Doc, however, is needed to push the heavy stones around. I feel for the Doc, because my wife just keeps me around to kill snakes. Whatever.
    One final note. The free version won't be free for long, they say, so grab it if you like.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.
P.S. Carley, the puzzler, calls this game 3 stars out of 5 and I call it 4 stars out of 5.
P.S.S. I started to say that the Doc had a little brother named Google. Google Doc, get it? I know, really a lame joke. Or I could have said that Amy Pond was really deep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

Men In Black 3, Just Empty Black Suits?

    Hey, everyone, out there in the world! Nice of you to stop by. Today I downloaded Men In Black 3 for I-Pad. There were a number of positive reviews on the app store, but there were several reviews that complained about the game failing to open. This was my experience. It opened to the screen shown above and froze there. At least it was free. I have an I-Pad 3, so maybe you will have better luck with yours.     EA games is having a big sale for the holiday weekend. I already have most of the titles which are on sale, however. I did buy several games this weekend, though, and I'd like to tell you about them.    Get Out of My Galaxy is a Mario type of space game in which you control a monster with 4 arms. The dude eats rocks and has a penchant for slapping little cone-headed aliens. There are a certain number of aliens to slap on every planet, then you move on to the next world. There are power-ups to grab as you go along, for health and other things. There is prickly vegetatio