Skip to main content

Davy Jones, Now a Member of a New Band

    Hey, everyone. I just wanted to say a few words about Davy Jones' death. I watched this guy on the Monkees' TV show back in the sixties. As a teenager, you jumped at any opportunity to watch or hear rock and roll. I don't remember that much about the episodes but I certainly liked the music.
    It's funny, but the group was created for the TV show, instead of the other,normal, way around. They put out enough good songs so that they became hugely popular just for the music's sake. I went to I-Tunes a year or two ago and bought a bunch of their songs. They had 10 or so that I really liked. Last Train To Clarksville and Daydream Believer were my favorites. I have a picture in my mind of what some of the old 45's looked like from that era. I can see the label of Pleasant Valley Sunday at this moment.
    My wife was a teeny bopper at that time, I didn't know her, and she had a mega crush on Davy Jones. "He was sooo cute." Well, I guess he was, at that, though I didn't really fancy him in that way. I really liked him as a singer, however.
   I was just over on Wikipedia and I read that Davy happened to be on the Ed Sullivan Show on the night that the Beatles appeared. Davy was there with a group of actors but he stood backstage and watched the screaming girls. He decided that being a rock star would be just fine.
    He seemed like a likeable bloke and I would have liked to have met him. Tomorrow I'll sit down at the keyboard and say, "This one's for Davy." Then I'll play Daydream Believer and sing along a bit. I'll remember him as a young, fresh-faced guy with a Beatle-do and not as an old guy, like I am now. Goodbye to a good guy and a fine entertainer.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...