Skip to main content

The E-Pub Thing

    Hey, everyone. The e-book industry is in its infancy and we are all feeling our way along a dark hallway. Hoping, of course, that it's a hallway and not a ballroom. (Walls are harder to find in the latter.)
     I have my books on a bunch of sites. Most of them travel through Smashwords to get where they are going, with the exception of Amazon. The other day I went on Smashwords to check my stuff and I had a message that one of my short stories had 'failed an e-pub check'. This was a freebie named Scary Beast. Apple doesn't keep stuff on their site if it fails e-pub check, I guess, so it would be good if this could be resolved. Not a big deal, really, because the book was free, anyway.
  I clicked on a link provided to try to resolve the issue and uploaded a copy of the story to the folks that approve these things. (An independent group) Of course, it's automated. It will refuse your manuscript and not give you a reason. So, then you start to try to eliminate possible reasons, which can be counterproductive. This story has been downloaded and read for the last 8 or 10 months with no problem. I downloaded it myself on my PC and my I-Pad with no apparent problem. I read it and again, no problem. So I decide to let the matter ride a few days. Then I go to Smashwords and I've got an addendum to the former message that adds a second story to the e-pub fail thing.
    I'm not trying to make any point, nor am I trying to register a complaint. I just thought you might find it interesting. I have no kick coming. I'm just grateful for a chance to sell my books and to have them read.
 If I'm able to resolve this I'll let you know. I've had books rejected for having a link that didn't work. This is still superior to the traditional publishers who won't even accept manuscripts.
     The following formats are available for downloads on the Smashwords store. HTML, Java script, .Mobi(kindle), the infamous epub, PDF, RTF, LRF, Palm Doc (for Palm devices) and Plain Text. By the way, Smashwords has nothing to do with the E-pub fail thing.
 It's all very fascinating, I guess. An emerging industry with typical growing pains. Reminds me of when I was a teenager and my legs would ache because bone and sinew were not growing at the same rate.
    Hey, I'm reading a Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child. I like it so far. Not a lot of wasted motion with this guy, which makes him a writer after my own heart. Life is short, spare me the 100 page buildup. When I get finished I'll give you guys a review. My wife has a friend who starts a book and if it hasn't captured her attention in the first 15 pages, she tosses it. Not a bad idea. Looking back, there are very few books that I have read which I would have regretted using this method. Those that were bad for 15 pages were pretty much bad. As I said last night, the sample for ebooks makes this a more practical practice. At least economically.
  So, here's a scenario you may appreciate. I want this book by Lee Child. I would prefer to have it in paper form just so I can loan it, if I like it. Then again, I live 25 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart, let alone a book store. If I splurged and went to one of these used book stores where I could buy the whole series of Jack Reacher novels for $2.50 each it would take about $15 worth of gas, a drive of 115 miles, round trip, and kill most of a day.
    On the other hand I can pop over to Amazon or I-Books and have the book in less than a minute for $9.99. Not only that but I can read the free sample and if I adhere to the '15 page and throw it away' rule I might save myself from buying a bad book. Can you see why the shut-ins, the home bound, the hermits in the Alaskan wilderness, can really dig the ebook thing? Trust me, this is the future of books. I do wish they'd relent on the high prices, though. No e-book should be more than $7, in my opinion. I may change my mind if the E-pub fail thing continues. Ha, ha.
     From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe