Skip to main content

A Skunk Named Bugs

    Hey, everyone. As you know, I'm an observer of animals and have always been fascinated by them. One thing that's neat about animals in general is their ability to surprise you.
    A case in point is an old buddy of mine who has some baggage. He is a skunk, in the truest sense of the word. You know, with the white stripe down his back and the whole enchalada. Don't get me wrong, Bugs and I were never really close. In fact, I don't suppose you could call us friends. We just tolerated each other with a healthy respect for each others' capabilities. At the time I met Bugs, I was working a night-shift job at a plant that supplied river water to a power plant. The water was used to cool the steam which had just passed through the turbo-generator blades and turn it back into water for recycling.
    Out at the river was a lonely place to work at night. On summer evenings I would sit out on the pump deck and enjoy the cool breeze and maybe watch a storm drift majestically by.
    There was a skunk who lived under a nearby water tank. He had dug a hole there and doubtless enjoyed the cool concrete of the tank.
    On warm nights, insects would swarm around a big light not far from where I sat. This skunk would come over and eat the bugs and moths that gathered around the light. For this reason I called him Bugs, due to his peculiar eating habits. I could stand within 10 feet of him and he became so used to me that he didn't seem to mind.
    Sometimes I would throw a little fruit out on the grass, like an overripe banana, or a few fragments of the watermelon I had eaten. I'd see Bugs come around later in the evening and he'd really chow down on the fruit.
    Then Bugs started to sleep on the seat of the lawnmower we kept in an old shed. He'd leave his white hairs on the cloth seat which irritated me. Was he concerned that I was irritated? No, I think not. One day, when I cranked the mower, he came scuttling out from under the deck in alarm, a foul odor imminating from the little bounder. I rolled off the seat of the mower on the opposite side of the mower from him, and fled, keeping the mower between him and myself.
    On cool nights, Bugs liked to lay under my car and savor the residual heat from my engine. When I'd start the car and pull away, I'd see him run off, leaving a trail of odor behind him.
    This sort of thing went on for years. For a while, Bugs liked to hang out in a big drain pipe that went from one side of the road to the other.He was always around, it seemed, to startle me when I was making my rounds. I grew fond of him, sort of.
   One cool night as I left work, I began to smell a skunk and I looked behind me to see if Bugs was running away to the hole under the tank. He wasn't. About a mile up the road, I heard a horrible racket. I guess Bugs had crawled up into the engine compartment to get warm. He must have made contact with the fan and when he fell to the pavement my wheels passed over him.
    All that Bugs had for an epitaph was a horrible smell on my car and these few words I have penned. He was my kinda-sorta friend and he was a good little dude.
    From the author's green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's So Easy

     Hey, everyone, out there in etherland. I've been playing some new songs this morning on my keyboard. You may remember a Buddy Holly tune called It's So Easy . I hadn't matched the title to the song before today so I was delighted when I saw that it was the one that goes like this: "It's so easy to fall in love, it's so easy to fall in love." It rocks pretty good. A later version of it, after amps and guitars had improved, really rocked. It seems like Joan Jett may have done a version. Anyway, I was playing this song and I thought about a fun thing I like to do. Sometimes I'll start to play a song and tell Carley, or the grandkids, whoever may be there, a silly story about it.      For instance, I would say that once upon a time Buddy Holly came to me and said, "CE, I need a hit, my man. The kids need shoes. I want to go on American bandstand, you know what I'm saying?"     "Yeah, Buddy, I hear you. But the thing is, I think ...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Movie Review: Limitless

    Hey, everyone. I ventured off the mountain today, down into the haunts of men. I'll tell you about a movie I saw, then later I'll tell you about some other stuff. The movie is Unlimited . This is a story that you would have to call science fiction, but in the not so distant future you may call it reality.      Bradley Cooper plays Edward Morra. If you looked up loser in the dictionary you would see this guy's picture. He has freeloaded off his girlfriend for years. He claims to be a writer but can't seem to put words on paper. His woman leaves him; he is a scroungy, dirty dude with no future, no drive and no money. He is about to be evicted from his scummy apartment.     Then he bumps into an old friend. The friend wants him to try a new drug which comes in the form of a small, clear pill. What Edward doesn't know is that the pill is pretty awesome. The drug is designed to unlock the true potential of the human brain. We only use a...