Skip to main content

Puzzler Or Shooter?

    When it comes to gaming on IOS (Apple), or any other system, really, there are two distinct types of gamers. I'm not speaking here of the Casual Gamer Syndrome or the Hardcore Gamer like I have mentioned in a previous post called CGS. That was about the intensity, or passion for gaming that might or might not grip a player.
     No, I'm talking about the games people play. (Sounds like an old tune by Joe South). My wife, for example, is the Puzzler supremo. Sometimes when she is playing Scrabble or The Treasures of Montezuma, or a dozen other games, I feel like saying "earth calling".
      Then I try her Cover Orange or whatever and I say:
1. "You actually enjoy this?"
2. "Why do you enjoy difficulty?"
3. "Games are supposed to be fun. I.E. you blow stuff up, right?"
    Then when she tries to play Rage or Carnivores, she says:
1. "Killing things is fun? Is that sick?"
2. "How does one relax while playing this?"
3. "Is there a point to all this?"
    To be fair and cover the entire spectrum, there are sports games. I'm beginning to really enjoy Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12, although it's really difficult. I also like Real Racing 2, which is a dynamite game. Games like Plants Vs. Zombies are neither entirely about blowing things up, or puzzles, but have elements of both, which accounts for the fact that this game has earned millions of dollars. This is, however,  a small piece of an app store pie that will take in 3 billion dollars this year alone.
    But, the puzzler vs. shooter boils down to personality types.
1. Puzzlers tend to be sober, responsible individuals who take pleasure in challenges. (Boo, Hiss). They love a job well done, responsibility and a sense of duty. They tend to be quiet, calm and goal oriented.
2. Shooters are more likely to be flighty, easily bored and hate to be extended mentally. It's so much easier to shoot a zombie than fit geometric shapes into a zen garden. So bored and frustrated are they with their mundane existence that shooting mutants or downing a T-Rex is a great way to unwind.
    To a fairly large degree you'll see that couples tend to flow to opposite ends of the spectrum. It is rare when two puzzlers or two shooters can stay married. It is usually necessary to have one mature person in every relationship.
     This post is tongue in cheek, so please, no poison pen e-mails.
    It is often true that the line between puzzler and shooter divides along gender lines. Ladies tend to prefer puzzles. Come to think of it, I do like to play several word games like Word Abacus and Book Worm. I also play several match three games like Chuzzles and the Treasures Of Montezuma. So, what I said about gender, strike it please.
    From the gamer's retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...