Skip to main content

Movie Review: Thor

Hey, everyone. Well, it's date night in America. If you are taking your lady out on the town, maybe you should take her to see Thor. My wife says that she rates it 3.5 stars out of 5 but I give it 4.5 stars out of 5. We went to see it today and really enjoyed it.
More as a matter of timing than anything else, we saw the regular version and not the 3d. If 3d makes it any cooler, I may have to go back and watch it again. The computer animated scenes of Asgard, which is Thor's home turf, are both good and bad. The scenes of the buildings were not as good as I expected, but everything else was awesome. The Rainbow Bridge looked real and the battles were very cool. When Thor did that deal, like in the comics, where he spins that big hammer super fast and creates a vortex, well, I was into that stuff.
The Aussie who plays Thor was born to play this role. To say that he nailed the role fails to do him justice. The dude is Thor. His name is Chris Hemsworth and doubtless, if we hired a private detective to check his background there would be ample evidence that his Dad's name was Odin. Even the cute little granny that accompanied me today said he was 'attractive'?
That brings me to Anthony Hopkins, who plays the role of King Odin, Thor's Dad. Hopkins did a great job and the funniest thing happened on our way home. Here's the conversation.
"Anthony Hopkins looked good with his hair long." I said.
"Yes, he should wear it long all the time," she said. "Then again, he looks good with his hair short, too."
"So, you're saying he just looks good?" I said.
"Well, yeah."
The plot goes something like this. Here's the recipe: Thor is a Prince of the realm. He is due to succeed Odin as King of Asgard. The youngster loves to fight and has a bit of a mouth on him. Odin is forced to calm him down a bit by kicking him out of Asgard to another realm, which is what we call earth. Odin also takes away his powers and that big magic hammer.
A team of researchers finds Thor out in the desert. Jane Foster, played capably by Natalie Portman, forms a bit of a bond with the big guy and he is certainly more than a lab rat to her. This part of the film is pretty funny as Thor tries to adapt to being human. In the refiner's fire of hard times, Thor learns about humility and sacrifice. His evil brother Loki plots against Odin and earth and only Thor stands in the way of destruction. You get the sense, early on, that if Thor ever gets that big hammer, and his powers back, he will see to it that somebody will carry home a beating. That's an expression here in the South.
This film is easily as good as Iron Man and better than the Spiderman movies. It might be a close call between Thor and the original Spiderman.
I read Thor comics when I was a kid and this was a real treat for me. The previews were good too. I saw the preview of Green Lantern and Captain America today and they looked to be good. I also saw the preview of Steven Spielberg's Super 8. It should be a good sci-fi as well. You know that Spielberg can bring the sci-fi, baby!
From the green lantern, uh, green retreat, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...