Skip to main content

What A Wonderful World

    I've often heard the old expression, "the school of hard knocks". In fact, I've been a student at that robust academy. What I didn't know until recently was that Louis Armstrong attended a franchise of that huge school, down in New Orleans.
    Louis Armstrong's mother worked at a house of ill repute in New Orleans. In fact, Louis' first job was to use his bicycle to haul clean towels and linens to such establishments in that city.
   Our tough early lives certainly have a part in forming our character, personality and traits both good and bad. It is easy to see how the entertainer coped well with playing to rowdy crowds.
     One of my favorite songs to play on keyboard is What A Wonderful World.
         I see trees of green
         Red roses too
         I see them bloom
        For me and you
        And I think to myself
        What a wonderful world
    Sometimes as I play this great song, I'll sing along with it. I might think about the macabre use of the song in the soundtrack of the Robin Williams movie entitled Good Morning, Vietnam. But most times I think about a poor kid from New Orleans who grew up to travel the world and sing for Kings, Queens and Presidents. Then I think to myself, what a wonderful world.
If you have time tonight, listen to the old song by Louis Armstrong. Think about me as I sit here in my study and listen to the same song, here at the author's green retreat.
     I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dr. Simon's Exoskeleton (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. Nice to be back with you after a tough, hectic week. We have had some snow, sleet, fog, drizzle, torrential rain and flooding this week.      I'd like to talk, yet again, about Shadowgun , the shooter game for I-Padster. I was much further along than what I thought when I posted about some of the battles yet to be faced for those of you who had just killed the Driller. The fact is that I am on the last level. This level has Dr. Simon, the resident evil nutcase, inhabiting a monstrous, powerful robot. His brain resides in a bubble on top, much like a cherry on a hot fudge Sunday. (Yes, I am still on my eating binge) It is a tremendous fight because you not only have to kill this huge semi-person, but there are a bunch of mutant guards, flying drones etc. to deal with at the same time. I had played the darn level about thirty times and decided to check out someone else's battle. So I went to You-Tube and typed in, Dr. Simon Exoskelet...

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is hi...

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As...