Skip to main content

Peanut Butter And Jelly, Baby

    I was reading a very interesting article about Paul Simon. Yes, the guy from the former singing duo of Simon and Garfunkel. This was in the current issue of Rolling Stone and I gathered no moss in reading it because I have long been a fan of that pair. Nicholas Dawidoff wrote the story and did a good job. Here's a few things from the article that might interest you or surprise you.
1. Paul Simon has been married three times and has several children.
2. Paul was married to Carrie Fisher of Star Wars fame.
3.The line, "Sail on silver girl" from Bridge Over Troubled Water refers to his first wife's discovery of her first gray hairs.
4. "Hello darkness, my old friend" from Sound Of Silence came about because Paul liked to turn off the lights in his bathroom and sing, since the tiles gave forth good acoustics. This was in his teens while he was living with his folks.
5. Garfunkel used to hitchhike from one gig to another.
       My main reason for this post is not so much the article but a thought I had while reading about Paul and Art's rather public falling out.
     When we spend a lot of time around people there are going to be some very irritating things that can become almost unbearable. You see it in business and you see it in families, friends and certainly in marriage. Maybe it's creative differences, jealousy or simply that one of you eats with his mouth open or smacks his lips or says "you know?" at the end of every darn sentence. So, there are break-ups. Some may be for the best and others are inevitable. Then you have those 'peanut butter and jelly' break-ups that are sort of tragic.
     Sometimes, many times, the whole is so much better than the parts could ever be. In my opinion, the Beatles could never have shaken the world individually. But that perfect zen type of thing when they happened to get together on that fateful day, that was peanut butter and jelly. It is probable that no other person inserted into that mix could have been as effective, as magical. Like Simon and Garfunkel. Paul was the song-writer, sure, but who's to say that Garfunkel's presence and influence did not help to inspire Paul to do what I think was the best work of his life? I don't slight Paul Simon's later work but his early stuff is the best. And that wonderful harmonizing? Incomparable.
    Let's not stop there. Let's talk about the Fogerty brothers and Creedence Clearwater Revival. I like several of John's solo songs, really like them, but it's hard to imagine the stuff that might have come about had the brothers not split.
     Then you have that oddity of The Rolling Stones who have toured together for decades despite very nasty and public conflicts and at least one tell-all book. I suppose that tough bunch of street kids just knew how to unload on each other and then go on with life. Plus, give Mick some credit for not doing the " Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones " thing that has destroyed other groups. Remember when the terrific group called the Four Seasons became Frankie Valley and The Four Seasons?
    My point is, why mess with success? If you ever are so blessed as to run into a peanut butter and jelly romance or rock group or business partner or best friend, don't be in too big a hurry to cast them aside because they are rare indeed. I say this, but the fact is that I am the world's worst about it. I can cast aside a person for the smallest reasons. I just hate hassles. Of course, after a lifetime of that, you wind up eating a lot of baloney sandwiches.
     From the deli counter of life, I'm CE Wills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shadowgun: Killing The Windbreaker

    Hey, everyone. I thought it might be a good time for a bit of an update on the riveting game called Shadowgun. Consider this your spoiler alert and tune out if you want to.     Once you get past the dreaded Driller, things get better but you are certainly not out of the woods. You will want to make sure you keep a full clip in your gun as you stroll through the realm of the evil and crazy Dr. Simon. But hey, you're John Slade, the Shadowgun, and wherever you set your foot is the place to which your authority extends.      I love the way that some of the barriers disintegrate under the impact of bullets. I didn't learn this at my mother's knee but I darn sure know it now. I have learned that there are certain places it is good to plan on using the rocket launcher. Keep your stock of those filled. There are these transporter guys who are aggressive punks. The only way they respect you is if you kill them, so that's the way I roll. As you know by now, their strategy

Shadowgun: Crushing The Driller On Level 4

      Hey, everyone. Let's talk about the game called Shadowgun, the I-Pad game with which I have a love-hate relationship. Most of you who made it past the evil Cyber Lobster are doubtless locked in a death struggle with the Driller at the end of level 4. At this point you have been in the cave for a long time. The Driller breaks through the rock wall and chases you through the tunnel as you try to shoot out the green lights which slows the Driller down. If you are slick enough to shoot out all the lights and emerge from the cave, a rolling door crashes on the Driller and crushes his aggravating carcass. I have tried and failed to beat the Driller at least 250 times. I hate the Driller to the heights and depths my soul can reach. I hate it like a plague. I hate it with intensity of feeling. I hate it like a rich man hates taxes. Excuse me, I got carried away.       We had a big dinner here at the green retreat and my friend Trevor was here today. He is my gaming consultant. I tol

To Kill A Lobster (Shadowgun)

    Hey, everyone. I had not planned on posting tonight but I have to make something right. I gave Shadowgun a good review last night but I didn't do it justice. Tonight I got past the vicious Cyber Lobster and went on to play a lot more. This is a terrific game! Last night I would have rated it 4 stars out of 5. Tonight I give it 5 stars out of 5. By the way, here's a spoiler alert. If you don't want to know how to kill the lobster, don't read any further. I say this because I had several people come to the blog that were looking for the silver bullet ( figure of speech from old Dracula movies, not literal weapon for lobster) to kill this behemoth.      When the monster appears, he starts firing missiles at you out of his mechanical mouth. Don't run and hide behind a barrier. Get close to him and run back and forth, dodging missiles until you can blast the lime colored ball of light that appears periodically over his head. I suspect that this is his AI, but Cybe